If you are looking for a way to unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 8/ OnePlus 8 Pro, here is a complete article to help you out. Recently OnePlus launched its latest 2020 flagship phones – OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro. Both of these devices came with the best hardware and software specifications.
OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro are powered by Snapdragon 865 CPU, Adreno 650 GPU, and have nearly 12 GB of RAM. The phones feature a curved 120 Hz display panel with a little punch hole for the selfie camera.
What is Bootloader? Why Unlock Bootloader?
A Bootloader is a code that initializes some hardware and then loads the kernel and RAMdisk and gets the boot process going. It runs when we turn on our device. This whole process is termed as a bootloader. This process is common for other devices as well. Be it a computer, laptop, or Smartphone.
Unlock Bootloader makes it possible for you to Root your Android Smartphone. So by rooting your device, you can perform various tasks as Flashing TWRP and also Custom ROM in a much easier way. Now since the Manufacturers do not want the device to be rooted as they want you to use the Stock ROM, they made a policy. According to this policy, the smartphone is built with a locked Bootloader because of which the warranty of your device will be voided if you try to root it.
So if you are an Android geek and wish to try any sort of Custom ROM, it is a prerequisite for you to unlock the bootloader. For the whole procedure of unlocking bootloader on OnePlus 8/ OnePlus 8 Pro, keep reading further.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro
Given below is a simple guide on how you can easily unlock bootloader on OnePlus8 /OnePlus8 Pro. The process is a little lengthy and hence we have distributed the procedure in steps. But first, make sure you follow all the below requirements first.
- The most important step will be having a backup of your device data. When you unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8 device, all the data of your device including contacts, call logs, installed applications, media, and audio files, and so on. So make sure, before doing anything else, you take a complete backup of the device data.
- Download ADB and Fastboot USB Drivers and then install them on PC.
- You will need a Windows PC as well as working and reliable USB cables to establish a connection between your device and the PC.
- Make sure to have sufficient battery power, at least 60% on your device. You might not want to terminate the process in between and then again start from scratch.
I assume that you have followed all the above requirements, so now you can being the comprehensive guide on how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 8/ 8 Pro –
Step 1. On your OnePlus 8/ 8 Pro, go to Settings> About Phone> Tap on Build Number for 7 -8 times. You will enter Developer Mode.
Step 2. Go back and you will see a new Developers Option on the screen. Tap on it and then Enable OEM unlocking toggle.
Step 3. Now boot OnePlus 8/ 8 Pro into Bootloader mode. For this, press the Volume Down + Power button together.
Step 4. Once you see the Bootloader menu, tap on Advanced menu> Reboot to Fastboot.
Step 5. Using USB cables, connect your device to the PC.
Step 6. Download Fastboot.zip and Android USB Drivers.
Step 7. Now unzip the Fastboot zip file to a folder called Fastboot in the downloads of your PC.
Step 8. Open a command window on Windows PC or Terminal Window for Linux or Mac OS.
For Windows –
- Navigate to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools have been installed (e.g. C:\platform-tools).
- Then press the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on any space inside this folder.
- Choose the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
For macOS/Linux –
- Open the Terminal Window and change its directory (using ‘cd’ command) to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools are installed (e.g. Documents/platform-tools).
Step 9. Now enter the below commands –
For Windows –
fastboot oem unlock
For Mac –
chmod 755 *
./fastboot-mac oem unlock
chmod 755 *
sudo ./fastboot-linux oem unlock
Step 10. Lastly, on your OnePlus 8 device, choose ‘Unlock the bootloader’ by pressing the Volume keys and the Power button.
Your OnePlus 8 device will now reboot, wipe itself, then reboot. In a few minutes, you will see a welcome screen. Sign in and you are good to go.
I hope you were successful in unlocking Bootloader on OnePlus 8/ OnePlus 8 Pro. In case you are stuck at any of the above steps, feel free to ask us in the comment section below.
Stay Home, Stay Safe.