JAR files are nothing but files similar to EXE files that need a Java framework for running. Just like how the exe files need Windows OS to run, the JAR files need Java framework.
When one opens a JAR file, they not just open it like an archive file but like an executing file. Just know that since JAR files do not open using Windows OS, we will need Java Framework on the PC.
How to run a JAR file in Windows 10
To run JAR files, Windows users need Java installed on their PC. While installing Java, make sure that the files and the Java version are corresponding. After installation of Java, follow the below 3 steps –
Download and install Java Framework
To run JAR files, Windows users need Java installed on their PC. While installing Java, make sure that the files and the Java version are corresponding. In case you have an older version of Java installed on your PC, and if it causes any problem in installing the latest Java framework, then you can remove the former by the Java Remover Tool.
After installation of Java, follow the below 3 steps-
Set System Path for Java
Now set the JAVA_HOME path. This will enable the JAVA file you run to find the essential libraries for the program.
One can also use the command line for echoing the Java path to check if it is correct.
Run a Java or JAR file
Double click on the JAR file and you will see that it automatically runs they way the EXE files execute. In case there is some issue with version, the file will certainly inform you.
In case there is a JAR file on your PC that is not running on its own, then you can utilize the java JDK so as to run it.
Then open the Command Prompt, and enter the command – java -jar name_of_jar_file.jar. This will automatically execute the JAR file.
Set the Java or JAR file association
Lastly, establish a file association with Java run time. This way every time you run the file, you are not asked to select a program that can execute it.
- The next step is to Set the Java or JAR file association. Do so by pressing the Shift + Right-click on the file, and then choose Open with option.
- Then choose the option of ‘Choose another app.’
- In case the Java(TM) Platform SE binary is not in your list, the scroll, and click on More Apps.
- choose Select app from the computer.
- Now you will come across ‘Java(TM) Platform SE binary’ in this context menu it.
- Go to the file that can run the JAVA or JAR file which is available in the path given above.
- Lastly, do not forget to tick the checkbox which says, “Always use this program.”
That is it you are done here. Now all the upcoming JAR files will automatically open with Java run time library. For all these files, you will be shown the Java icon.
Hope the article helped you.
Thank you for visiting:-)