There’s good news of all the Xiaomi Mi A3 users out there. An unofficial build of the Xiaomi Mi A3 is now available and in this article, we are going to share with you all the methods to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A3.
If you are wondering what might change after TWRP installation, you will be able to Mods, Kernels, Custom ROMs and also take Nandroid Backups and restore the same. You will be able to flash Magisk Installer Zip so as to root your device.
It has been two months since the launch of the 3rd iteration from Xiaomi Mi A series but until now there was no official TWRP Support. However, thanks to XDA Senior Member/developer mauronofrio, we now have working TWRP for Xiaomi Mi A3 unofficially.
But before that here are some basics about TWRP recovery and some specifications of Mi A3 that you should have a look at.
Specifications of Xiaomi Mi A3
Here are a few highlighted features of the Xiaomi Mi A3 –
- The Xiaomi Mi A3 comes with Android 9.0 Pie out of the box.
- It is powered by Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 and Octa-Core CPU and Adreno 610 GPU.
- It comes with a screen size of 6.01 inches and Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 16M colours. It has a resolution of 720 x 1560 pixels with the body to screen ratio is 19.5:9 ratio.
- The dimensions are 153.5 x 71.9 x 8.5 mm with Gorilla Glass 5.
- The battery of Mi A3 is Non-removable Li-Po 4030 mAh battery with Fast battery charging 18W.
- The SD Card slot is microSD, up to 256 GB and 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM.
- The Main camera comes in 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF, 8 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide), 1/4″, 1.12µm, 2 MP, f/2.4, depth sensor.
- The Selfie Single camera has 32 MP, f/2.0, 0.8µm with HDR.
- Mi A3 comes in colour options – Kind of Gray, Not just Blue, More than White.
What is TWRP Recovery? Why install TWRP Recovery?
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It’s an open-source software custom recovery for rooted Android devices. It’s helpful to install third-party firmware and backup your current system. It also supports the installation of custom ROMs, kernels, add-on e.g. Gapps, and other mods. Using TWRP you can wipe, format, install or backup your system.
By installing TWRP recovery, one can customize the software for optimizing the battery life and performance by installing kernels or Custom ROMs. Installing a TWRP Recovery paves your way to rooting your Xiaomi Mi A3 and this letting you install apps that need root permissions and also apply modifications to the Mi A3.
Along with that, you can also take Nandroid Backups and restore them too. It will become possible to wipe individual device partitions like Cache, System, Data, etc. You can, after installing TWRP Recovery, mount as well as unmount device partitions. The user will be able to install partition images and also perform a full factory reset.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A3
Before getting into the installation of TWRP, first, make sure to download the TWRP Recovery from below and also follow the given requirements in order to proceed further.
Download Xiaomi Mi A3 TWRP Recovery (laurel_sprout)
Here are the links to download the Unofficial TWRP Recovery by the XDA Developer mauronofrio.
TWRP Recovery Image – twrp-3.3.1-15-laurel_sprout-mauronofrio.img
TWRP Installer zip – twrp-3.3.1-15-laurel_sprout-mauronofrio-installer.zip
- Make sure to have at least 60% charging while initiating the below process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data.
- Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3.
- Install Android SDK Platform tools i.e. ADB and Fastboot. Or you can also download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Download Xiaomi Mi A3 USB Drivers.
Note – While performing the steps, keep in mind to prepend the fastboot commands with [.] while using PowerShell on Windows, and [./] while using Terminal on macOS or Linux.
Step 1. To begin with, Download latest Xiaomi Mi A3 TWRP recovery image and installer zip files.
Step 2. Move this downloaded recovery image file to the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot tools.
Step 3. Now move the TWRP installer zip i.e. (twrp-3.3.1-15-laurel_sprout-mauronofrio.img) to the Internal Storage of your device.
Step 5. Now connect Mi A3 to the PC with the help of USB Cables.
Step 6. Press the Shift Key and Right-click on the ADB and fastboot folder anywhere on the empty space and choose – Open PowerShell Window here.
For the macOS/Linux, Open the Terminal and “cd” to the folder where the ADB and fastboot binaries have been installed.
Step 7. Type the below command so as to make sure that the PC has detected your Mi A3 device.
Step 8. Type the below command to flash the TWRP Recovery image on Mi A3 boot partition.
fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-15-laurel_sprout-mauronofrio.img
Step 9. Now is the time to boot your Xiaomi Mi A3 into Fastboot Mode. For this, use the below command while holding down the Volume Up key until you see TWRP Splashscreen.
Step 10. Now enter the Lockscreen password or pin when you are asked to allow TWRP to decrypt the data partition i.e. internal storage of the device.
Step 11. Swipe the “Swipe to Allow Modifications” button when notified.
Step 12. Now tap the Install button in the TWRP and then choose TWRP Installer Zip.
Step 13. Lastly, swipe the “Swipe to confirm Flash” toggle so as to flash the TWRP installer zip & permanently install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi A3 device of yours.
Be patient until the process completes and once it is, then just tap on the ‘Reboot System’. When you are asked to install the TWRP App, make sure to tap on ‘Do Not Install’. Now your device should boot into OS.
That was it. Now you can easily root your Xiaomi Mi A3 or flash a custom ROM on it. I hope you have successfully installed the TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi A3. In case of any doubts or queries, do let us know in the comment section below.
Happy Androiding 🙂