What is a Custom Recovery?
A custom recovery is a third-party recovery environment. Flashing this recovery environment on to your device replaces the default, stock recovery environment with a third-party, customized recovery environment. Unlike the flashing Custom ROM like Cyanogen Mod, instead of replacing the Android operating system of your device, Oppo A3s, it replaces the whole environment of recovery.
A custom recovery environment will do the same things as the stock Android recovery. However, it will have some additional features as well. Custom recoveries often have the ability to create and restore device backups. Custom recoveries allow you to install custom ROMs. CWM Recovery even offers a ROM Manager app that allows you to access many of these features from a running Android system, this app requires a custom recovery installed to function.
While there may be several custom recoveries available for most Android devices, the most popular one’s available today are ClockworkMod Recovery (also called CWM) which is generally installed by ROM manager and TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) which is installed by GooManager.
Some Features of Oppo A3s:
- The Oppo A3s was launched on July, 2018.
- The display type on Oppo A3s is IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen with 16 M colors.
- The screen size being 6.2 inches and a 720× 1520 pixels and 19:9 ratio.
- The Android OS is of Android 8.1 Oreo.
- The device contains Qualcomm SDM450 Snapdragon 450.
- A Octa-core 1.8 ghZ Cortex-A53 CPU and Adreno 506 GPU.
- The device has a 13 MP camera with and LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, selfie camera being of 8 MP.
- The battery of Oppo A3s is non-removable with Li-Ion 4230 mAh Battery.
- The color of the device being Red, Dark Purple it is priced at about 11,000 INR.
- A Rooted Android Device.
- USB Cable Drivers.
- Custom Recovery File.
- Backup your complete data.
- You will have to Unlock Bootloader of your Oppo A3s to install a custom recovery on it.
How to install Custom Recovery on Oppo A3s?
There are two main and most popular types of Custom Recoveries- CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery.
ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) can create and restore nandroid backups, backups of an Android device’s entire file system. ClockworkMod offers a ROM manager with a file browser that allows you to easily browse for and install custom ROMs through ClockworkMod Recovery and manage and restore backups
Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is a touch-based recovery environment. Unlike other recovery environments including Android’s default stock recovery, which needs to be controlled with the volume and power buttons of the device. This recovery environment has a touch-based interface you can use by tapping your fingers on on-screen buttons. TWRP also supports themes.
The methods to download these two of course differ.
How to Install CWM Recovery via ROM Manager
Step 1. Install ROM Manager on your device. It is an app that basically lets you schedule recovery operations while booted into Android, and has an option for installing the latest version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
Step 2. Launch the just installed ‘Rom Manager’ on your phone. The first option it gives you should say ‘Flash ClockworkMod Recovery’. Just tap on it and follow the instructions.
Step 3. Wait until the system reboots and the latest version of ClockworkMod Recovery is installed on your Oppo A3s. Select to reboot the device if it prompts you to.
Step 4. Once the device reboots into Android, verify that you have the latest version of ClockworkMod Recovery installed by launching Rom Manager.
You have now installed ClockworkMod along with its version you are running, and any updates that might be available.
How to Install TWRP Recovery with GooManager
Step 1. Install GooManager on your device. It is an app that lets you download and install several Android ROMs and mods hosted on the Goo.im website, along with flashing the latest TWRP Touch recovery.
Step 2. Launch GooManager once it has been installed.
Step 3. Press Menu and select the ‘Install OpenRecoveryScript’ option. Confirm any prompts that you get after that, and provide the app with root access if it requests for it.
Step 4. Wait until the app downloads the latest TWRP recovery for your device, and installs it.
Step 5. Now that you have installed the recovery has been installed, confirm that it installed successfully by booting into it. You can do that right from GooManager itself by pressing Menu and selecting the Reboot Recovery.
The Advantages of installing Custom Recovery on Oppo A3s:
Installing a Custom Recovery allows you to flash custom ROMs, backup your phone, restore from backups and much more. Every phone has a specific method to install a recovery, so in this post, we will get you started with the basics then point you in the direction of more information. As always, make sure to have a complete back up of your Oppo A3s.
- Restore a full backup in one step.
- Perform a Hard Reset (“Wipe”) with advanced options.
- Make a full backup of the phone.
The Disadvantages of installing Custom Recovery on Oppo A3s:
- You can not restore backups made with the original recovery with Custom Recovery.
- If you wish to use Custom Recovery to install official ROMs in the future then, the original ZIP file has to be changed and worked for a custom recovery.
- Perform scheduled backups.
- If you run into an issue with your phone, want to perform a wipe and don’t have a recent backup, creating a backup will probably also back up the issue.
Why should you Install a Custom Recovery?
These custom recovery environments are most useful when you’re installing custom ROMS on your device, as they provide backup, restore, and ROM-flashing features you’ll need.
Install a custom recovery when you are working with custom ROMs, or if you really wish to powerful backup features. This is often seen as a necessary prerequisite to installing a custom ROM, but it isn’t always required. In general, custom recoveries are only necessary if you plan on flashing a custom ROM. Most Android users would not even notice a difference between a device with the stock recovery system installed and one with a custom recovery.
- How to unlock forgotten pattern lock on Oppo A3s
- How to Root Oppo A3s
- How to install TWRP Recovery on Oppo A3s
Hope you guys found the article useful in installing a custom recovery. If you get stuck at any level of the procedure or have any queries to ask, feel free to let us know in the comment section below. Keep visiting our page for more such articles or you can also subscribe to our newsletter to receive timely notifications of our posts.
Happy Androiding : )