As Google came up with the Gesture Navigation feature in its Android 9.0 Pie Update, other manufacturers implemented the similar over their own navigation gesture sets. However, in the Android 10, Google removed the Navigation bar from 4th generation Pixel devices. It is clear that Android 10 s making users use their Gesture Navigation as the primary method of navigation on Android devices.
This has led to some bugs that majorly include a blank space when using gesture navigation in the Samsung keyboard on One UI 2.0 or OnePlus keyboard from Oxygen OS 10 based on Android 10. What was supposed to be a full-fledged Navigation bar has turned out to be a blank space. And the worst part is that this blank space has also occupied the whole OS and not just the Android Keyboard.
But as we are here, there is nothing to worry about this anymore. In this article, we are sharing with you all the short method to remove the space under the keyboard for navigation bar while using Gesture Navigation.
How to remove Space under Keyboard while using Gesture navigation on Android 10/ 9 Pie
Here is a short guide that will let you know how you can remove the Space for Navigation bar while using Gesture Navigation. This procedure will result into bringing down the UI and thus giving you more screen real estate on the Android device.
- On your Android device, Enable USB Debugging. For this, just go to the Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging from there. To enable developer options, tap on build number for about 7-8 times.
- Download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools. Or you can also download Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools.
- With the help of a USB cable, connect your Android phone to the PC.
- Then go to the location on PC where you have installed and setup ADB.
- Here, open a Command Prompt. You can do so by going to the ADB folder then press the Shift Key along with Right Click on empty space in the folder. From the menu that appears, choose the Open PowerShell window here.
- Or you can simply type ‘cmd‘ in the address bar and then press the enter key on the keyboard.
- Now so as to check if ADB has detected your device or not, enter the below command –
- Then, for removing the Navigation bar space, type the command given below –
adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,-75
Default value –
adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,0
Note – You can change the last value and go up to -100 for the full screen.
adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,-100
- For macOS and Linux OS one can try prefixes like
- By changing the last value you can play with it and set it as you need.
- Lastly, exit the command prompt and check out the difference by seeing the keyboard in your messaging app.
I hope the article was of use. In case of any doubts, feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We will be happy to help.
Happy Androiding 🙂