Finally, Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7 is out now. Lineage OS 17.1, a popular Android 10 based custom ROM, is now officially available for OnePlus 7 (Non-pro). In this article, we will share with you the method to download and install Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7.
Note – Before you begin, make sure that your device is on the latest Android 10 firmware and Go through the guide before you actually perform any steps.
We will first download the essential files, then follow a few basic requirements and then follow the below four steps –
- Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7.
- Boot into Custom Recovery
- Sideload Copy Partitions
- Install/flash Lineage OS from Custom recovery
Download Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7
- Download ADB and Fastboot tools. You can also download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool on Windows
- Download a Custom Recovery like TWRP Recovery, or OrangeFox Recovery
- Download Android 10 GApps (Google Apps)
Install Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7
- Take a complete back up of device data.
- Make sure to have at least 60% battery power on your device.
- Enable USB debugging on OnePlus 7.
- Working and reliable USB cables.
Step 1. Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 7.
- Go to Settings> About Phone> tap on Build number for 7-8 times> Go back > Developer Options> tap on the OEM Unlock toggle to enable it.
- Using USB cables, connect your Device to the PC.
- Open a command window on Windows PC or Terminal Window for Linux or Mac OS. For Windows –
- Navigate to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools have been installed (e.g. C:\platform-tools).
- Then press the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on any space inside this folder.
- Choose the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
For macOS/Linux –
- Open the Terminal Window and change its directory (using ‘cd’ command) to the folder where the ADB and Fastboot tools are installed (e.g. Documents/platform-tools).
- Enter the below command in the Command prompt so as to see if your device has been detected by ADB –
- Enter below command to Unlock Bootloader-
fastboot oem unlock
- Reboot if the device doesn’t reboot by itself.
- For further steps, you will have to again enable USB debugging.
Step 2. Boot into Custom Recovery
- Download and Install Custom Recovery on OnePlus
- Connect the device to the PC using USB cables.
- Open a command window on Windows PC or Terminal Window for Linux or Mac OS. You can take help from the Unlock Bootloader section above.
- Enter the below command-
adb reboot bootloader
- Now enter below command to see if ADB has detected your device –
- Now flash recovery on your device by entering –
fastboot flash boot <recovery_filename>.img
- When the device is switched off, press down the Vol Down+ Power button.
Step 3. Sideload Copy Partitions
We will now sideload the copy-partitions.zip package so as to populate slot b by copying the contents of slot
a to avoid a potential hard-brick.
- Download copy-partitions.zip.
- On your device, choose Apply Update, >Apply from ADB so as to begin to sideload.
- Now on the host machine, sideload the package by entering the command –
adb sideload copy-partitions.zip
Step 4. Install/flash Lineage OS from Custom recovery
- Assuming you have downloaded the LineageOS 17.1 for OnePlus and GApps, we can now proceed further to install Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7.
- Reboot into Recovery. For this, switch off your device and press down the Vol Down+ Power button.
- Tap on Factory Reset.
- Go to the main menu in the recovery.
- Sideload the LineageOS zip package. For this, on your device, choose Apply Update>Apply from ADB so as to begin to sideload. Then, on a host machine, sideload the package using –
adb sideload filename.zip
Note – The below step is crucial if you are booting into Lineage OS for the first time and want GApps or any other addons.
- Now if you want to Sideload any additional files like GApps, tap on
Reboot to Recovery.When your device reboots, tap on
Apply from ADB, then
adb sideload filename.zipthose packages in sequence.
- After you are done installing everything, tap on the back row present in the top left corner and then tap on Reboot System Now.
That’s it. You have successfully installed Lineage OS 17.1 based on Android 10 for OnePlus 7. You can now go ahead and do all the customizations and personalization you want.
Note – Some recoveries might ask you to install additional apps or addons. We recommend you to avoid doing so as those may cause your device to bootloop.
Don’t miss – Download Lineage OS 17.1 based on Android 10
What is Lineage OS 17.1?
LineageOS 17.1 is an open-source and free operating system for set-top boxes, smartphones, PCs, tablets that are based on the Android Linux distribution. LineageOS 17.1 is based on Android 10 which was recently announced by Google.
Why install Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus?
Lineage OS 17.1 is the latest Android 10 based custom ROM for OnePlus 7 and brings up some really amazing features like the Android Q. It paves the way for customization and personalization this giving you the full control of your Android phone.
Is it safe to use Lineage OS 17.1?
Most of the Android users are confused about the LineageOS and whether this Android Custom ROM is reliable and safe or not. Well, to clarify this, let me introduce to you the number of active installations – 1.5 Million.
The LineageOS has compatibility with most of the Android devices. This might be enough to let you know about the popularity of this ROM.
Very rarely Android Custom ROM software gets the monthly security updates and LineageOS is one of those very few ROMs that offer the latest Monthly Security Patches from Google.
If you have the Unofficial LineageOS 17.1, it will be the developer’s responsibility to provide you with the Monthly Security Updates and in case you have the Official LineageSO 17.1, you do not have to worry about the OTA Updates as those will arrive every week from the Official LineageOS Servers.
It is often dubious as of how much secure the personal information of a user is when they install a ROM. Well, with LineageOS, all that can be said that this team has clarified the data they collect from the users and exactly how they do so.
I hope the article was useful and you could easily install Lineage OS 17.1 for OnePlus 7 using your above guide.
Don’t miss out –
- Download & Install LineageOS 17 for Asus Zenfone 6 based on Android 10 Q
- Local upgrade for OnePlus 8 Pro Rooted users
- OxygenOS Open Beta 11 Update for OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro (March 2020 Security Level)
- Download latest Open Beta 10 update for OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro