How to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi K20: Xiaomi knows how to build a great budget smartphone! Xiaomi has proved themselves in the past with the Pocophone F1. Pocophone F1 is arguably the best smartphone in the year 2018. Despite being a huge hit in the market Xiaomi did not release the successor for the Pocophone F1, but that is where Redmi K20 Pro came to fill in and the company also launched Redmi K20 in the same event.
Also Read: Download Google Camera 7.4 for OnePlus 7T
Xiaomi’s entire business model is resided on the budget smartphone segment with the Redmi series accounting for the majority of overall sales! Will Xiaomi made a lot of flagship phones in the past, for example, the Mi 8, Mi 9, and the Mi Mix phones. But the Redmi lineup has been the brand’s bread and butter, at least in India!
No one can technically identify which one is Redmi K20 and which is K20 Pro when placed side-by-side. The main differences here are in regards to the primary sensor and specs.
Redmi K20 Specifications
Redmi K20 boasts a 6.39 inch super AMOLED display with the aspect ratio of 19.5:9. The resolution of this display is 1080 x 2340 pixels and the pixel density of this panel is about 403 PPI.
Underneath the hood, as mentioned earlier, the device is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 chipset which is coupled with 6 GB of RAM for 8 GB of Ram. As far as the internal storage is concerned the device is made available in three storage variants which include 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB. Adreno 618 handles the graphic duties here.
As one would expect, Xiaomi did not cut any corners in regards to the cameras. Both the Redmi K20 and K20 Pro come with a similar camera setup with three cameras on the back and one pop-up selfie camera. The primary sensor is a 48 megapixel unit with F/1.8 aperture.
The secondary is a telephoto camera unit with a 53mm lens which is an 8-megapixel sensor. The telephoto camera here can only go up to 2x optically. The third camera here is 13-megapixel Ultra-wide camera with a 12mm field of you and the aperture value here stands at 2.4. On the front is where you get to see a full-screen display without notice of any sort as the front-facing camera is a pop-up selfie camera unit.
The device runs MIUI 11 which is built on top of Android 10. MIUI is one of the feature-rich user interfaces which comes with a bundle of features but a bit laggy at times. Now, this is where custom ROMs come into the play.
But for that, you will need to unlock the bootloader and have the TWRP recovery. Now, in this post, we are going to discuss how to unlock the bootloader of Redmi K20.
What is Bootloader?
In general, Bootloader is a code that exists in every OS in order to start or run any device. A bootloader is generally a set of instructions package to launch the OS after the device is turned on. Take any gadget which runs any operating system, it will have a bootloader. Android is an open-source operating system developed and maintained by Google, but every manufacturer out there has a bootloader of their own.
As you would already know, bootloaders usually come locked. If you plan on flashing a custom mod, ROM, or any custom file for that matter, then you will have to unlock the bootloader. So, just like any Android device, Redmi K20 also comes with a locked bootloader. In order to unlock the bootloader of Redmi K20, you will have to follow the below-mentioned steps!
Pre-Requisites to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi K20
- The first step in unlocking the bootloader of any device includes installing the USB Drivers on your Windows, Mac, Linux devices.
- Before you start, make sure that the Redmi Note 9 Pro is charged at least 70%.
- Next up, Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers and tools on your Windows, Mac, Linux running PC’s
- Download and Install Mi Unlock Tool on your PC.
- Make sure that you backed up all your data as bootloader unlocking will wipe everything on your device.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi K20
- On your Redmi Note 9 Pro, enter settings then navigate to About Phone and tap on the MIUI version 7 times.
- Go back to the home page of settings and open Additional settings.
- Here you will find the Developer options, click and select on it to open. Here you will have to enable USB Debugging and Enable OEM unlock.
- Now enter Mi Unlock Status and add your Mi account to your device and you will see Mi account is associated with your device.
- Once done, open the ADB folder on your computer and connect your device to PC.
- Here you will have to type ADB Devices, now it will show the list of devices connected. Now type ADB Reboot bootloader
- Now enable the pop-up on your phone’s screen and you will enter fastboot mode on your phone. The Mi Bunny will appear by which you can confirm that you have entered bootloader or fastboot mode.
- Open Mi Unlock Tool and login with the same Mi Account credentials.
- Click on Unlock Now. It might show you wait for 72 hours or more to unlock. Xiaomi has some weird unlock policies which are common with all their devices.
- Repeat the same steps again, and that is all. You have successfully completed the process of unlock bootloader of Redmi K20.
That is it! You have successfully did unlock bootloader of Redmi K20. If this article helped you to unlock the bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro, show us some love by sharing this post with the device users who might require a guide. Now that you have done that, it is time for me to bid you adieu. Until next time, Stay Techy!
Android Jungles’ Editor Tarun Tej is a Bangalore-based writer and journalist whose work has appeared in True-Tech, DroidJournal, DroidViews, and various other online publications. An avid photographer, music-lover, and film-buff. He finds ultimate joy when writing about the latest tech and geek stuff. His interests are ranging from anything to do with mobiles, cameras, and any gadget for that matter.