Best Free Cell Phones for Seniors: The government of the United State provides a free phone for seniors, less fortunate, and disabled people through free line programs. This program was initiated way back in 1980 in order to provide government free phones for the needy. Although this program was launched then, it got a major boost in the year 2005 to provide service to all the eligible American citizens
The eligible citizens mostly comprise the senior citizens and the disabled, for the reasons being they are not more vulnerable. But then again, not all the senior and disabled people get the cell phones for free as the eligible individuals should be the active members of any government federal program.
Moreover, the candidates for the free cell phones for seniors are only eligible once they have less than 135% income below the federal poverty level, in general. In any case, there will a minimum eligibility criteria for all the candidates.
Why Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens is required?
- Why Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens is required?
- How can you apply for a Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens
- Top 10 Best Free Cell Phones for Seniors in 2020
- Features of the Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens
Well, as mentioned earlier, for the eligibility criteria government will consider only the disabled citizens of the country as well as the income should be limited or below the average earning, at least on the paper. The age criteria for the same should be a minimum of 65 years or above.
The reasons for providing government free phones for seniors and disabled are many. Now, let us talk about why free cell phone for seniors and disabled citizens is required.
- For starters, as mentioned earlier, seniors and disabled citizens are the most vulnerable set of people in the current society. As we all know, most of the seniors retire at any certain age and would like to spend their lives alone. This bids an essential need for cell phones in case of emergencies.
- As for the disabled, they might also need cell phones for their wellbeing, personal safety in case of physical emergencies, and etc. Hence, providing free cell phones for seniors and disabled citizens plays a vital role.
- Personal safety is a major thing. Well, one would always be able to protect or shelter themselves in case of personal emergencies. But, medical emergencies are most attained in the loss of no support. Well, free phones for seniors program’s main deal is that. Every life is important and will count. Hence, government free phones are initiated to get the right help at the right time.
- Now, we have entered a smartphone era. People do not need people to keep themselves entertained anymore. Thanks to smartphones which can upkeep the mental health of seniors and disabled citizens. Although smartphones are spread across different price ranges where everyone can afford one, why leaving government free phones when you can get one!
- We all know how smartphones help us to overcome our problems and etc. Having a multimedia device in hand is just like having the world in your hand. So, free phones for senior programs add another reason to exist.
How can you apply for a Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens
With that talked let us also discuss how an individual can apply for a free cell phone for seniors and disabled citizens. According to the government:
- An individual should have an annual income below the federal poverty level.
- An individual should be an active member of any government aid program.
These government free phones are provided by different communications and phone communications. All the providers are always in touch with the government on a partnership basis. Currently, enTouch Wireless, SafetyNet Wireless, and SafeLink Wireless are provided on the current generation.
As for the disabled, you will need to be qualified to benefit from government free phones. Again, just like with the senior citizen free cell phone program, you will have to match the following criteria.
- An individual have an income below the federal proverty level.
- Be an active member of any government aid program like the supplimental nutrition asssitance program.
- An individual should be an active number of any social security program.
Top 10 Best Free Cell Phones for Seniors in 2020
Although there a ton of free cell phones spread across the vast variety, brand, and technology, it gets really hard for an individual to find the best free cellphones for seniors. But we at Android Jungles did our homework to bring you in the list of the best free phones.
1. Easy Wireless
Easy Wireless made into our list because of its best reviews and feature that it brings to the table with it! Seniors who reside in Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, and other sub-urban areas are eligible to apply for Easy Wireless smartphones. To apply for an individual have an income below the federal poverty level. Be an active member of any government aid program.
As for the plans, the Oklahoma Residents get unlimited texts, 2250 minutes, and 50 MB internet data for as low as $1 per month. The plans also vary between tribal and non-tribal. As far as the other states are concerned, it varies from time to time.
2. Clintex Wireless
Clintex Wireless is for the seniors who are looking for the best free cell phones in Arkansas, Maryland, West Virginia, and Rhode Island or who reside in North America. To apply for an individual have an income below the federal poverty level. Be an active member of any government aid program. The plans here include 1000 free minutes calls, unlimited texts, and 1 GB of internet data.
3. Tag Mobile
Tag mobile is one of the free cell phones for seniors in California. Moreover, it also offers the best free cell phones and smartphones in nineteen other states including all over the United States. As long as the plans are considered it provides limited calls, texts, and 2 GB of the internet in California. In other states, they offer only 750 minutes for calls and unlimited texts.
4. enTouch Wireless
Just like the Tag Mobile, enTouch Wireless is also Californian exclusive for the most part. Moreover, it is one of the fast-growing best free cell phones and is expanding in various states. To apply for a person have an income below the federal poverty level. Be a current member of any government funding program. In California, you get 500 minutes call plan and 100 texts. On other parts, you will get unlimited everything and 750 MB data
5. American Assistance
American Assistance is the company that offers coverage nationwide contrasting all the other titles in the list. Currently, they provide the best free cell phones and smartphones across 16 states. To apply for a person have an income below the federal poverty level. Be a current member of any government funding program. Their monthly plans include 500 minutes of voice calls talk time and 500 text messages and 1 GB of internet data.
6. Access Wireless
Access Wireless provides only for a person who has earnings below the actual federal poverty level. Be a current member of any government funding program. The plans here include 100 minutes of talk time and 500 MB of internet data.
7. Verizon Wireless
Verizon as most of you already know, is not a free cellphone for seniors network, as it is one of the top listing one in the entire United States. To apply for an individual have an income below the federal poverty level. Be an active member of any government aid program. Verizon follows strict eligibility criteria compared to anyone on the list. The devices here include iPhone XS, iPhone XR, Google Pixel 3, Galaxy S9, LG V40 ThinQ, Galaxy Note 9, HTC U12+, and the list goes on.
Safelink Wireless as mentioned earlier is one of the most popular and top-rated companies that is offering free cell phones in more than 40 states across the United States. The eligibility here also includes the person to be a part of the Lifeline program and must have proofreading for the same. For California residents, they offer unlimited calls and texts but the internet packages differ from 500 MB to 10 GB, similarly from free to as pricy as $32.60 in a month.
9. SafetyNet Wireless
This is one of the extra-ordinary services for the senior who is residing in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. They can be part of eligibility criteria only if a person has an income below the federal poverty level. Be a current member of any government funding program. They offer only 750 minutes for calls and 500 texts.
10. True Wireless
True Wireless also offers free cell phones for seniors exclusively in Texas and three other states. The eligibility criteria here are also the same as if a person has an income below the federal poverty level and also a current member of any government funding program. They offer only 500 minutes for calls and 500 texts.
Features of the Free Cell Phone for Seniors and Disabled Citizens
In case if you are thinking that these free phones are similar to the ones we generally but, well, you got it wrong. These devices are not very easily found in the markets. Instead of releasing phones with sleek designs, huge displays, these manufactures will prefer to opt for bulky and chunky pieces of hardware where everything is on the fingertips.
Well, these are pretty much like the old-generation Nokia or Motorola devices, but a bit more modern looking and less chunky. But then again, you will not find to use these phones in the real world with ease for the reasons being too bulky and chunky.
- Long term batteries
- Phone Tracking
- Health Tracking
- Diverse Display Features
That is all for this article. Hope that you have got a clear idea around what the free cell phones for seniors provide and the eligibility criteria for free phones for seniors. If this post helped you to know everything about government free phones, show us some love by sharing the post with your friends and family. Now that you have done that, it is time for me to bid you adieu. For more posts like this, stay tuned with us. Until next time, Stay Techy!
Android Jungles’ Editor Tarun Tej is a Bangalore-based writer and journalist whose work has appeared in True-Tech, DroidJournal, DroidViews, and various other online publications. An avid photographer, music-lover, and film-buff. He finds ultimate joy when writing about the latest tech and geek stuff. His interests are ranging from anything to do with mobiles, cameras, and any gadget for that matter.